.

The Sink Situation

INTERN'S CORNER
I rent a townhouse, and therefore cannot alter any existing furniture or fixtures. One of my bathrooms is very small and situated underneath a staircase. The sink is the first thing you see when you open the bathroom door. As you can see in the picture, the sink has no cabinet below you so see right to the pipes. Since this is my guest bathroom, I really wanted to cover the pipes and make the bathroom a little more welcoming.


I brought a picture of my sink to illustrate the shape and pipe placement, some measurements and some fabric (which I proudly bought from Ikea on super sale) to Cecile which she used to teach me how to make a custom pleated skirt for my sink! Cecile immediately noticed that the bottom of the sink is curved rather than straight, which meant we had to use Velcro to attach the skirt rather than elastic cording as we originally thought.

Not only did Cecile teach me how to make the skirt but she allowed me to use her industrial sewing machines – both the blind stitching machine for the bottom hem and the standard industrial machine for the sides and top. Using the industrial machines was a little scary and a bit strange to me – I had to use both of my feet to control the speed.


I am so happy that I now have a custom skirt for my small but fabulous bathroom and that I didn’t break Cecile’s sewing machines! Thanks Cecile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...